Cartagena Private Max. 4 5 hours English - Spanish
The Bazurto market shines in color and diversity, a labyrinth that will surprise you at every turn with native fruit and popular cuisine that could very well enter your collection of “trying for the first time” flavors. Explore and take with you a real photograph of our gastronomy and explore the traditional ingredients in Cartagena’s cuisine right where it happens, then, get ready to transform the ingredients into delicious dishes from the local recipe book that show our diverse culinary influences with pride.
What you’ll live
Come hungry and prepare yourself to live Bazurto. Filter the bests spots inside the market while you listen to cool champeta, taste the most authentic bites in town and let the colors sound and spirit of the Caribbean form our locals spread its joy while we shop for ingredients so we can continue the party in our kitchen. Cartagena’s people love to tell stories, let each recipe be a passport to share the cultures that made our flavors possible.
- Eating is a verb we appreciate a lot in Cartagena. Get ready to put it into action in this journey starting at the Caribbean's premier market and ending in our kitchen.
- Get drunk off of the aromas, be surprised by its diverse offering, crave the flavors and eat straight from the Calderos, served up in small tasting spoons in the same spot Andrew Zimmer from Bizarre Foods and Anthony Bourdain from No Reservations ate at.
- Bazurto is a big merchant market, its products proudly exhibited and are the true gems of the day: freshly caught fish and shellfish, exotic fruit from all corners of the Colombian Caribbean, African inherited tubers, vegetables and green leaves, coconuts, chilis, cheeses, "Suero" and spices will give you all the clues necessary to understand the anatomy of Cartagena's cuisine.
- Admire Cartagena’s popular art, listen to its soundtrack, freshen your palate, go on, and dance your first steps to the beat of “meke y espeluque”.
- After a short way, put on your apron and cook up some of the most emblematic recipes in town. Cook and discover, step by step, the secrets to their authentic taste.
- Appetizer: Arepa de huevo or a cheese carimañola. Cartagenero miscegenation in one bite.
- Main course: Posta Cartagenera, a slow cooked beef, or, if you’re in the mood to taste the catch of the day, cook a fish in coconut juice, or rice with local seafood. For the vegetarians, mote de queso a local soup made with yam and costeño cheese.
- Dessert: Have you tried a sweet made out of yucca? Be surprised by its delicate taste.
- Drinks: Local fruit juice and tropical fruit wine. At the end, stroll, -cocktail in hand- through the coquette and manorial Manga, surrounded and protected by majestic fruit-trees, a colonial fort and the Bay of the Animas.
Who will enjoy it
Everyone will enjoy it specially foodies with an adventurous palate and travelers, market lovers, amateur or professional cooks, food photographers in love with color and texture.
What you should bring
A willing palate. Dress casually, bring comfy shoes and a camera. We do recommend sunscreen and a hat if the weather suggests so.
- Food concierge
- Water bottle.
- Transportations form Hotel- Bazurto- Manga- Hotel. Hotels in the Historic Center and Bocagrande are covered. Ask about different locations.
- The origins of the cuisines of Cartagena in 10 secret stops. Includes stops at fish and shellfish market, fruits, vegetables, tubers, spices, doughs and dairy spots.
- Native fruit tasting to as we walk along.
- Local beer stop.
- Caldero tastings in the same spots as Andrew Zimmern form Bizarre Foods and Anthony Bourdain from No Reservations ate.
- Meet and greet with cooks, vendors and owners.
- In the kitchen, step by step 3 course menu class:
- Appetizer: Arepa de huevo or carimañola.
- Main Course: Posta negra or fish in coconut juice, or coconut shellfish rice o mote de queso (vegetarian).
- Dessert: enyucado.
- Beverages: cold infusion, local fruit juice, tropical wine and cocktail.
- Cooking assistant.
- Air conditioner.
- Foodies shopping bag.
- Foodies journal so you can relieve your experience at home.
- An apron will be provided for the class.
- Cooking class certificate as a souvenir.
The menu is generous, we recommend a light breakfast.
Not Included: Unspecified services.
Age: 18 and over. Under 18 may attend under the responsibility of their parents.
Weather: We also tour and cook with rain. Please bring a raincoat/ umbrella if the weather suggests so.
Pick up: Please register your hotel information during the checkout process. It only includes hotels located in the Historical Center, Getsemaní and Bocagrande. For pickups at different locations, please ask beforehand.
100% return if your cancelation is received 30 days or longer prior to departure date.
70% return if your cancelation is received 29 days or less prior to departure date.
50% return if your cancelation is received 15 days or less prior to departure date.
0% return if your cancelation is received 7 days or less prior to departure date.
Things to note before booking tours:
Gift vouchers and online experiences are non-refundable once purchased, so please choose carefully. Gift vouchers will be extended from their written due date on discretion, and only if requested prior to expiry date.
If Foodies is forced to cancel a booked tour, any prior payments will be fully refunded.
Foodies operate in all weather, though reserves the right to alter or amend an itinerary if circumstances require.
We love what we do
We are a boutique agency focused on what we love and do best: eat and create gastronomic experiences. That is why Foodies does not provide aerial or hotel services. We want food to remain our only passion.
We know where to eat
We eat in Bogotá and Cartagena 24/7 and we know where to find what you’re looking for, be it a luxury dinner at a secret location, a cooking class or that delicious street food bite everyone’s talking about.
We love details
We take care of every little detail in our experiences because we know they make a difference, they have taken us to accomplish the unthinkable: becoming the most awarded gastronomic tour agency in Colombia. So form here on, thank you!.
Covid-19 protocols/ actions
All our services are exempt from VAT until December 31, 2021, complying with the temporary exemption for hotel and tourism services that have an active RNT.
•The duration of the experience is approximate and can vary depending on the degree of participation.
•Our experiences operate in the languages advertised. Other languages may be available upon request with a charge by emailing us at email@example.com.
•For tailored experiences or different dates than offered please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
•Read our terms of purchase.