Bazurto by Bourdain
Cartagena Shared Max. 4 pax 2,5 hours English - Spanish
Discover the most seductive nooks of the Colombian market that captivated Anthony Bourdain. Take with you a true photograph of traditional gastronomy and its ingredients in the location where everything takes place: Bazurto. A popular jewel, vibrant and labyrinthic. Bourdain explored it until he found his cult spaces, the authenticity he sought in each place he visited.
What you’ll live
Anthony Bourdain was hypnotized by the taste of Cartagena while walking and tasting everything Bazurto had to offer. He admired the fresh fish and shellfish market, got to know several stalls filled with tropical fruits, vegetables and tubers with names he couldn’t pronounce and flavors he added to his extensive collection of tastes and travels. In his last stop he ate surrounded by local workers who inspired him to put the true local banquet on his plate.
Come hungry and get ready to walk his journey, filtering the best stalls while enjoying the rhythm of champeta, taste the authentic local cuisine and let the colors, sounds and relaxed spirit of our people grow in you.
•Walk through the market in the company of a local cook who will guide you in this labyrinth of “sabrosura” following Bourdain’s steps. Get ready to relive his adventure and the unmissable spots that make Bazurto a unique experience.
•Calm you thirst of local catch of the day with an authentic local brunch! Enjoy fried fish with soft cooked yucca and lime.
•Bazurto is a small merchant market, its products are exhibited proudly and are the true gems of the day: fresh fish and shellfish, exotic fruit from all corners of the Colombian Caribbean, African inherited tubers vegetables and leaves, coconut, chilis, cheeses, suero, and local spices will give you all the clues necessary to understand the anatomy of the cuisine of Cartagena.
•Admire Cartagena’s popular art, listen to its soundtrack, freshen your palate, go on, and dance your first dancing steps to the beat of “meke y espeluque”, two words that are an authentic passport to local barrio life.
•Get drunk on the flavors of local calderos, be surprised with its diverse offer, and have lunch in the same spot Anthony Bourdain ate for his show No reservations by Travel Channel. The promised land does exist!
Who will enjoy it
Everyone will love it specially foodies, amateur or professional cooks, travelers with an adventurous palate, local market loves, food photographers who love color and texture.
What you should bring
A willing palate. Dress casually, bring comfy shoes and a camera. We do recommend sunscreen and a hat if the weather suggests so.
- Food concierge
- Water bottle.
- Public transportation transfer form meeting point to Bazurto. Return trip is in charge of each traveler.
- The origins of the cuisines of Cartagena in 10 secret stops. Includes stops at fish and shellfish market, fruits, vegetables, tubers, spices, doughs and dairy spots.
- Step by step native fruit tasting to discover the rainbow that Bourdain fell in love with.
- Local beer stop.
- Lunch with a tasting menu of traditional cuisine at the same spot Bourdain had lunch in his No reservations show.
- Appetizer: fish soup.
- Main course: rices, stews and side dishes tasting.
- Dessert: poached sweet plantain.
- Drinks: guarapo (panela lemonade).
- Meet and greet with cooks, vendors and owners.
All experiences, food and beverages are included. We suggest your previous meal be light.
Not Included: Transportation Bazurto- Historic Center or elsewhere in the city, or unspecified services.
Age: 18 and over. Under 18 may attend under the responsibility of their parents.
Weather: We also tour with rain. Please bring a raincoat/ umbrella if the weather suggests so.
Meeting point: The meeting point will be informed in your confirmation email.
100% return if your cancelation is received 30 days or longer prior to departure date.
70% return if your cancelation is received 29 days or less prior to departure date.
50% return if your cancelation is received 15 days or less prior to departure date.
0% return if your cancelation is received 7 days or less prior to departure date.
Things to note before booking tours:
- Gift vouchers and online experiences are non-refundable once purchased, so please choose carefully. Gift vouchers may be extended if you submit a written request before the expiration date.
- If Foodies is forced to cancel a booked tour, any prior payments will be fully refunded.
- Foodies operate in all weather, though reserves the right to alter or modify an itinerary if circumstances require.
We love what we do
We are a boutique agency focused on what we love and do best: eat and create gastronomic experiences. That is why Foodies does not provide aerial or hotel services. We want food to remain our only passion.
We know where to eat
We eat in Bogotá and Cartagena 24/7 and we know where to find what you’re looking for, be it a luxury dinner at a secret location, a cooking class or that delicious street food bite everyone’s talking about.
We love details
We take care of every little detail in our experiences because we know they make a difference and they have taken us to accomplish the unthinkable: becoming the most awarded gastronomic tour agency in Colombia.
Covid-19 control measures
All our services are exempt from VAT until December 31, 2021, complying with the temporary exemption for hotel and tourism services that have an active RNT.
• The duration of the experience is approximate and can vary depending on the degree of participation.
• Our experiences operate in the languages advertised. Other languages may be available upon request with a charge by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• For tailored experiences or different dates than offered please email us at email@example.com
• Read our terms of purchase.