Arepas and Dancing
Cartagena Shared Max. 4 pax 1,5 hours. English - Spanish
The "arepa e' huevo" or better "empanada con huevo" as the cartageneros call it, is the most famous snack in town and the undisputed queen of the fried table, the emblem of local street cuisine.
It's an arepa prepared with yellow corn, similar to a sun, which can always be found on the fried tables of any corner and next the picó parties where people gather around champeta and salsa brava rhythms to celebrate our African roots with dance steps and cauldrons full of fried foods.
Join this tribute around some of the most popular cultural symbols of the city and leave room for another jewel of local cuisine that will fill your palate with sweetness while we teach you the steps to dance champeta.
What you'll live
Prepare two recipes that stand out among the wide repertoire of Colombian arepas by summarizing the tri-etnia that identifies local cuisine and the creative use of techniques and flavors.
The contribution of the Spaniards and the new ways of cooking that we learned from the Africans were mixed with indigenous ingredients to give rise to the culinary explosion that Cartagena experienced during the colonial era.
Centuries later, that legacy has a special place in the fried tables where the arepa e' huevo and the arepa of anise are the result of that rich and exuberant cuisine.
• Come and cook the arepa e' huevo's traditional versions step by step, from kneading to your second frying. In the end, we promise you that there will be no greater reward than hearing its crunchy sound with every bite.
• Reserve the moment of dessert for a delicate, flat and sugary arepa decorated with anise dots. Surprise yourself with his technique and the secret that ensures his perfect fluffing.
• Get your hands ready to knead and your feet to dance champeta, the musical genre that Shakira made popular at Super Bowl 2020. Take note the playlist and recipes to relive our music and flavors at home.
Who will enjoy it
Everyone will love it, especially foodies who are interested in learning about Cartagena's cuisine and culture; local flavor lovers, journalists, travelers and cooks.
What you should bring
Your desire to learn Cartagena's cuisine, a camera for your foodie photos, light clothes and comfy shoes to cook and dance champeta.
- Food concierge: The class will be guided by a traditional Cartagena's cuisine professional cook. The participants will take part in every step of the preparation.
- Step by step cooking class to learn:
- Arepa e' huevo (egg stuffed arepa) in Colombian style
- Arepa e' huevo (egg stuffed arepa) with meat in Cartagenero style
- Anise arepa
- Sugar cane lemonade
- Cold local beer
- Unlimited filtered water
- Cooking assistant
- Air conditioner
- Apron will be provided for the class
- Colombian cuisine ambassador diploma.
All experiences, food and beverages are included. We suggest your previous meal be light.
Not Included: Transportation or unspecified services.
Where: The class could be programmed on our kitchen in historic center or Manga, according to availability.
Age: 12 and over.
Weather: We also cook with rain.
Meeting point: The meeting point will be informed in your confirmation email.
100% return if your cancelation is received 30 days or longer prior to departure date.
70% return if your cancelation is received 29 days or less prior to departure date.
50% return if your cancelation is received 15 days or less prior to departure date.
0% return if your cancelation is received 7 days or less prior to departure date.
Things to note before booking tours:
- Gift vouchers and online experiences are non-refundable once purchased, so please choose carefully. Gift vouchers may be extended if you submit a written request before the expiration date.
- If Foodies is forced to cancel a booked tour, any prior payments will be fully refunded.
- Foodies operate in all weather, though reserves the right to alter or modify an itinerary if circumstances require.
We love what we do
We are a boutique agency focused on what we love and do best: eat and create gastronomic experiences. That is why Foodies does not provide aerial or hotel services. We want food to remain our only passion.
We know where to eat
We eat in Bogotá and Cartagena 24/7 and we know where to find what you’re looking for, be it a luxury dinner at a secret location, a cooking class or that delicious street food bite everyone’s talking about.
We love details
We take care of every little detail in our experiences because we know they make a difference and they have taken us to accomplish the unthinkable: becoming the most awarded gastronomic tour agency in Colombia.
Covid-19 control measures
All our services are exempt from VAT until December 31, 2021, complying with the temporary exemption for hotel and tourism services that have an active RNT.
•The duration of the experience is approximate and can vary depending on the degree of participation.
•Our experiences operate in the languages announced. Other languages may be available upon request with a charge by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
•For tailored experiences or different dates than offered please email us at email@example.com
•Read our terms of purchase.